New York Rules of Civil Procedure

New York City’s 5 Burroughs
New York requires all process servers within each of the 5 boroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens) to be licensed through the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. Individual process servers must pay a surety bond of $10,000, and agencies must pay a bond of $100,000 to be effective for their entire license term. Process servers must also pass a test on relevant rules and laws before being issued a license or renewal. Rules of the City of New York, subchapter W, §2.231, et seq and §20-403, et seq.


What Should You Do If You Are Served With a Legal Papers?

Letitia James- NY Attorney General

If you are served with legal papers, it is important that you respond, even if you do not believe that you owe any money.  

If you fail to respond, the court will eventually enter a default judgment against you and the creditor may be able to freeze your bank account or garnish your wages. 


What Should You Do If You Have Default Judgment Entered Against You?

Letitia James- NY Attorney Gernal

In order to remove or “vacate” a Default Judgment that has been entered against you, New York law requires that you make an application to the court that entered the judgment.  To assist you with this application, you should consult an attorney. In recent years, the Office of the Attorney General has uncovered fraudulent practices by certain process service companies who claim that they have provided documents to individuals when, in fact, they never did so.